The Warchant

The Student News Site of Westwood High School

The Warchant

The Warchant

2024 Baseball Season

How did we do?
Nate Riggsby
Coach Jr Langston congratulating one of the seniors.

It was a season that showed the heart and perseverance these young men have. A season that stared on a 5 game win streak, and ended at the hands of district rival Skyline High School. “We played very well this season, I mean the guys played hard and fought until the end. Basha beat us in a play-in game,” said coach Sam Langston.

We had a good season but how exactly did it go? Winning all 3 games in our 1st tournament of the season at North High School by a combined score of 45-4. After that we have 2 meaningful games beating Shadow Ridge and Carl Hayden. Our 2nd tournament did not go as well going 1-3-1 through 5 games. The regional season began on March 12th with a win at home over Dobson. We went 6-4 in the region, 11-7 on the season, and finished 3rd in the region and 24 in the conference to make a play in. The guys were ready to get revenge on Basha after losing 12-0 at home earlier in the season, but the play in game didn’t go much differently. We lost 12-2 but Basha scored earlier in this game, so Westwood lost with the mercy rule. “We had a good season, pitching in that Basha game was fun and we all had a good time, sad we lost but the fun we had made up for the loss,” said Joey Boenzi Jr.

The season may not have ended in state championship glory, but the guys on the 2024 Westwood baseball team fought all season long, and that means more than a championship ever will.